The challenges of public law mean that Local Authorities operate in a different legal environment to private sector clients, especially having regard to the burden of regulatory compliance. From our long history of advising public bodies, we understand and appreciate the specific constraints and challenges faced by such authorities.
This, combined with our awareness of the key considerations of private sector clients, enables us to provide pro-active, innovative advice focused on the key commercial drivers behind transactions, whilst protecting and fulfilling the needs of the Local Authority.
We act for a number of Local Authorities across Wales and provide advice on a diverse range of areas including:
- Development Projects.
- Planning Law including statutory planning agreement.
- EU Procurement requirements.
- Judicial Review of administrative functions.
- Children’s Services.
- Regulatory Compliance.
- Health and Safety.
- Commercial disputes.
- Landlord and Tenant Disputes.
Examples of recent transactions that we have undertaken in this sector include:
- acting on behalf of the Llanelli Waterside Joint Venture (Carmarthenshire County Council/Welsh Assembly Government) in respect of the regeneration of the Llanelli coastline – the regeneration area covers over 100 acres with the intention for over 1,000 homes; 500,000 sq ft of business / office development and over 250,000 sq ft of leisure development.
- Acting for Local Authorities on complex development agreements designed to facilitate retail developments upon former industrial/derelict areas and covering diverse ancillary issues such as public open space, statutory allotments and tenant relocations.