The Trade Union Act 2016 into force on 1 March 2017. The major changes include:
- Ballots: 50% turnout requirement.
- Ballots in “important public services”: additional 40% support requirement.
- Information requirements in relation to voting papers and information provided to members on the result of a ballot.
- Union supervision of picketing.
- Check-off in the public sector: the power to make Regulations to require unions to make a reasonable payment to employers for operation of a check-off system.