Acas has recently produced two sets of guidance for employers in relation to overtime and suspensions.
The guidance provides that it is important to detail any overtime arrangements in employment contracts and handbooks and highlights the importance of keeping detailed records of any overtime worked and any time off taken in lieu.
Click here to access the guidance.
The guidance provides advise as to when a suspension would be considered appropriate, for example:
- Serious allegation of misconduct
- Medical reason for suspension
- Risk to new/expectant mothers in the workplace.
Suspension should not be used automatically in matters concerning disciplinaries and alternatives should always be sought in the first instance, for example:
- Employee working under supervision; or
- Changing the role/hours/workplace of said employee.