Recommendations from the Low Pay Commission have resulted in proposals to amend the rates of the national minimum wage.
The draft regulations set out the following hourly rates of national minimum wage, which will apply from 1 April 2017:
- The national living wage (workers aged 25 and over) is £7.50;
- The standard adult rate (workers aged between 21 and 24) is £7.05;
- The development rate (workers aged between 18 and 20) is £5.60;
- The young workers rate (workers aged under 18 but above the compulsory school age who are not apprentices) is £4.05;
- The rate for apprentices is £3.50; and
- the accommodation offset will be £6.40 each day.