Acas has recently published its data on early conciliation (EC) and employment tribunals for England, Scotland and Wales covering April to December 2020.
The data reveals that:
- From July to September 2020, (EC) notifications increased by 17% compared with March to June 2020. EC notifications then stabilised from October to December 2020.
- From October to December 2020, the number of cases decreased by 69% compared with July to September 2020.
- 40% more ET1 receipts were recorded from July to September 2020 compared with April to June 2020 and October to December 2020.
- Over 60% of EC notifications from April to December 2020 did not progress to an employment tribunal claim.
- A minimum of 77% of all ET1 receipts did not progress to a hearing. Open track cases, such as discrimination and whistleblowing, were found to be the most likely to progress to a hearing.
In each quarter, Acas settled nearly 70% of cases that failed to progress to a hearing. The 30% or fewer remaining cases were withdrawn.